Everyone who has read the The Da Vinci Code or has seen the movie knows what a cryptex is – an old-timey way to password protect your documents. Except today’s documents typically come in digital form, say a flash drive, rather than paper so as cool as a cryptex sounds, it’s no good to use today.
Enter the Crypteks USB – you can guess what it does just by its name. It’s not a real product yet, it’s just a concept on Kickstarter. Still, considering it has received $130,000+ in backing (well over the $12,000 goal), it seems a pretty safe bet that it will be a real product soon.
The Crypteks USB is a cylinder made of high-grade anodized aluminum alloy measuring 78.7 x 27.9mm. It’s locked by an easily customizable 5 character password – and that’s just to get the USB drive out.
The drive itself features yet more security – 256 bit AES encryption, which is approved for storing Top Secret level documents. There’s also a read-only mode to ensure that nothing unwanted gets on the device from the computer.
Here’s a video that details the Crypteks USB:
The drive is available in 4GB, 8GB and 16GB capacities and supports USB 2.0. For $130 for the 8GB version, I was hoping for USB 3.0. Or at least some higher capacities. Still, if you pledge $200 you can get the 16GB Black special edition.
If you’re interested in getting a Crypteks USB, head over to their Kickstarter page for more info.
- Galaxy Note Jelly Bean update might be just around the corner, as Samsung publishes manual
- BlackBerry App World hits the three billion downloads mark
- App Design Allows Visually Impaired to Type and Text
- Infographic: What are old cell phones really worth?
- Netflix for Android Updated, Now Supports More Devices and a Tablet
- Samsung GT-N5100 appears in GLBenchmark, likely a new Galaxy Note member coming our way
- RIM’s New BBX Operating System Marries BlackBerry With QNX
- Augmented Reality: Vuforia by Qualcomm
- The hard-reset Galaxy S III exploit is already fixed, says Samsung
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 launched in India as Galaxy Note 510