No two ways about it: the MIUI family of ROMs has a unique visual approach. Blending elements from Android, iOS, WebOS, and plenty of manufacturer skins to boot, it’s become one of the most popular ROMs for those who love to tinker with their user interface. The Android 4.0 version MIUI 4 is still a work in progress, but if you’ve got an Ice Cream Sandwich phone or ROM, you can try out the MIUI 4 launcher and lockscreen now, thanks to RootzWiki member “hoppermi”.
There’s nothing in the MIUI home app that you haven’t seen before in launchers like Nova or Apex, and those have a lot more features. MIUI just looks good doing it. The launcher tends to take its iPhone inspiration pretty seriously, but it’s also got a lot of customized widgets that fit in with its own theme. Most of these replace Android’s standard widgets or duplicate others, like the HTC clock.
Performance is a bit of an issue, but this is a beta release. After installing and activating the launcher for the first time, the slowdown from the app itself and its many transitions and animations tends to go away. I also with it had more settings, but then again, MIUI is all about style. On that note, the ported launcher technically supports themes, but there are few or none available for the Galaxy Nexus’ 720p resolution, so I didn’t get to try them out.
- MIUI on Galaxy Nexus LTE currently in the works, almost fully functional
- MIUI custom ROM is ready for the Galaxy Nexus
- MIUI for the HP TouchPad enters beta, download it now
- T-Mobile LG G2x gets a MIUI Port
- MIUI now fully functional on Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus
- Chinese OEM Xiaomi publishes MIUI open source code
- Eden Tab packs MIUI onto a retail tablet… in Japan
- MIUI ICS ROM officially available for the Galaxy Nexus
- Google TV Music and Movies heads to more countries November 13
- YouTube tipped to launch paid channel subscriptions
- Motorola ELECTRIFY 2 and Motorola DEFY XT hit US Cellular
- Eric Schmidt interviews Stephen Colbert and talks Google Play
- T-Mobile Galaxy S III launch date delayed to 27th for most markets
- Samsung Galaxy S III specs and April release date rumors continue
- HTC EVO 4G LTE cleared from customs, shipping on Thursday
- Xbox Smartglass lands on Android
- HTC DROID ‘DLXPLUS’ could be the M7 for Verizon
- ASUS Transformer Prime kernel source code leaked, quickly removed